Release Notes for Providence 1.6
Release date: January 29, 2016
Version 1.6 includes many changes including completely rebuilt support for ElasticSearch, a brand new display template parser (faster! better!), lots of bug fixes and many new features.
Workflow options for museum- and archival- location tracking have been expanded and refined. You can read all about it on the wiki.
Display templates, the backbone of reporting and data presentation, have been totally overhauled. There are a number of new formatting options and tools, and the existing suite of tools is now faster and more reliable. Read about the changes on the wiki.
Support for ElasticSearch has been completely revised and is compatible with (and now requires) ES 2.0. Support for SOLR has been discontinued.
Asynchronous indexing is supported, allowing updated records to be indexed for search in the background. This can greatly speed up saving of records, especially large record with many relationships.
The parser for logical expressions, used to implement conditional displays and reactive data import mappings, has been completely rewritten with expanded functionality and improved reliability.
Support for presentation of 3d models in STL and PLY formats has been greatly improved. New features include:
- support for binary STL files
- new model viewer interface based upon three.js
- optional support for OpenCTM compression (http://openctm.sourceforge.net), which greatly improves load and display performance of large and extremely large (>500meg) models.
Annotations of QuickTime files with burnt-in timecode are now supported when  is present and configured. At upload time CollectiveAccess will use MediaInfo to extract the timecode offset and adjust the annotation timecode accordingly.
Support for ingestion of DVCPRO files has been added. Options and controls for batch media import have been expanded.
A variety of user interface and functional enhancements have been added, including:
- PROV-1272: Allow embedding metadata into images using the generic export framework
- PROV-1415: Addedfield visibility feature
- PROV-1446: Read-only preview mode for large containers
- PROV-1425: Added a new related objects bundle that allows managing large lists of related items like a search result (sorting, paging, exports, etc.)
- PROV-1405: Various improvements around storage and indexing of Getty Linked Data values (TGN, AAT, ULAN). For instance, it’s now possible to crawl up the whole broader hierarchy recursively to index all parents of a related term
- PROV-1325: Added quickadd for reference elements